The U.S. Army has provided my family and I with so many great things and opportunities but I want to name the 5 that helped us the most in life.
1. A Roof Over Our Head
The Army has definitely helped my family and I with a lot of things and housing was on the top of my list for the things they have provided me.
Everyone needs a roof over their and the Army provides that even if you are a single soldier. The feeling to wake up with shelter and warmth is the greatest feeling, just knowing your spouse and kids have a place to call home.
The Army gives you an allowance called Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH), which is money to rent a house weather it be on post military housing or approved housing off post.
The BAH varies on the different duty stations, some could be $900 and some could go anywhere up to $3,000.
Benefits of living on-post
- Easier commute to work
- Avoid the morning traffic
- Gives you extra time to sleep in so you don’t have to wake up extra early to beat traffic if staying in off-post housing
- Able to go home and eat breakfast or lunch without the worry of getting stuck in traffic or returning back to work late
- Able to spend more time with family during breakfast or lunch breaks
- Convenience of having the Commissary, Post Exchange (PX), Gas Stations
- Walking distance to most of your children’s schools
- You feel more secure with the Military Police roaming through the day’s and nights
Benefits of staying off-post
- Depending on how much your rent is on off-post housing, you’re able to pocket extra money from your BAH
- You get a break from the military scene
- You can choose a house of your preference
- You can buy a house that you can call your own and let the BAH take care of the payments as long as you’re stationed there
2. Great Health Insurance For Yourself and Dependents
- Free Health insurance – No fees deducted from your paycheck
- Never worry about medical coverage for yourself or your family, I sleep good at night knowing that if my children or wife were every sick, they can go to the clinic without being charged a lot of money and will be seen quickly.
- Patient Priority
- Free Medication – Every medication prescribed is free, even Tylenol and Motrin
- Medical specialist available if needed
- Top Medical Care
- My personal experience was I always knew my oldest daughter was allergic to peanuts. The doctors from the Army referred her to an allergy specialist immediately to confirm her allergies. Every year they prescribe her 3 epi-pens, one for school, home and one to carry around with her every where. The great thing about this, is that my daughter received the best care and it did not cost us a penny. It would cost me hundreds of dollars just for 3 epi-pens yearly.
- No tax penalties for not having health insurance. Since we always have health insurance provided by the Army, we will never be penalized from the mandatory health care act aka “obamacare”
3. The Opportunity To Travel To Different Places In The World
Some people are stuck in the same place because they feel they have no purpose to travel or their job doesn’t make them enough money to go anywhere.
With the military, they pay for you to go to different duty locations weather it be in the United States or overseas like Hawaii or Germany. I was stuck on a little Island growing up and I never had a reason to leave, and besides that, the tickets to travel were over $1500.
If I had never joined the Army, my family and I would’ve still been on an island doing the same things just a different day. The Army has allowed me to travel and see different parts of the world and interact with many different people and cultures.
4. Educational Privileges For Service Member, Their Spouses, and Children
- Tuition Assistance pays for the service member to go to school for free – I have completed a few college courses online while working free of charge.
- MYCAA offers up to $4,000 for spouses to receive their associates degree or Certificates – My wife has received MYCAA for her degree and it saved us $4,000.
- The army offers a variety of scholarships for Service members and dependents
- GI-BILL – The GI bill is offered to service members. This is to cover cost of living while going to school. If you get out of the army, you have the GI bill to fall back on while going to school. This means, free school for a certain amount of years and you will still receive Basic Allowance for housing (BAH).
5. Comfortable Living
Overall, My family and I live very comfortable. We always have a roof over our heads or will always have money from the army to rent a place in every duty station we are at. Health Insurance is very important since we all know that health care is one of the most expensive benefits. My children will always be seen by an amazing doctor and that is important. Education for my children is always amazing at every duty station we have been to. It gives me peace of mind knowing my children are receiving great education. Another great thing is, there has always been an elementary school right in the neighborhood we live in. My wife just walks our kids to school and is able to get a workout in. I would say that this is definitely comfortable living.
Before I joined the Army, My wife and I were both working full time jobs and we were penny pinching. This is because we paid for rent, health care and daycare at the time. It also put a lot of stress on us both.
With that being said, the Army has provided my family and I with all the important necessities needed in life, A house, healthcare and education. We are able to live comfortably off of one paycheck. My wife is fortunate enough to stay home and raise our younger children. It has always been her dream.
Looking to work from home while your spouse goes to work?
A lot of people wan’t to make extra income or don’t want to work away from their children. I have figured out a way to make that possible and that’s through Affiliate Marketing.
With Affiliate Marketing your able to work from home and make a paycheck. I have been doing it to prepare myself if I was ever going to get out of the military. If you’re interested on learning how to be an Affiliate Marketer and start working from your couch or wherever you please, click on my banner below to start your FREE Membership.
I hope this article was able to help out if your trying to find some information about the military and some of the things it has to offer. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them below and I will get back to you.
Thank you and have a great one!
For all the men and women serving our country out there past or present, thank you for your service and sacrifice.